2nd Annual Shaping Justice Conference To Feature Civil Rights Leader
The second annual Shaping Justice conference, aimed at inspiring students and lawyers to promote justice through public service, will take place Feb. 2-3 at the University of Virginia School of Law.
This year's conference, called "Shaping Justice in an Age of Uncertainty," will feature keynote speaker Kristen Clarke, president and executive director of the Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law. The nonpartisan, nonprofit organization, formed in 1963 at the request of President John F. Kennedy, enlists the private bar’s resources and leadership to fight inequality. Clarke will speak at 6 p.m. in Caplin Pavilion.
Other events include networking opportunities, workshops and panels on topics such as voting rights, environmental racism, artificial intelligence and the criminal justice system, and protecting the rights of vulnerable populations. Several alumni will be honored with Shaping Justice awards at a networking lunch on Feb. 3.
The conference is sponsored by UVA Law, the Program in Law and Public Service, the Mortimer Caplin Public Service Center, the student-run Public Interest Law Association and numerous other student organizations.
All conference events are open to the public with registration.
Locations to be announced.
Friday, Feb 2.
Surviving the Age of Uncertainty: Self-Care and Sustainable Lawyering
Panel 1 | The Absence of Justice for the Black Community: Where Do We Go From Here?
Sponsored by the Black Law Students Association, the Virginia Law in Prison Project and the National Lawyers Guild
- Tiffany Graves '06, Director, Mississippi Access to Justice Commission
- Jeree Thomas '11, Policy Director, Campaign for Youth Justice
- April Goggans, Core Organizer for Black Lives Matter DC and Founder of #KeepDC4Me
- Fatima Mann, Co-Founder and Executive Director, Counterbalance: ATX
Panel 2 | Artificial Intelligence, Big Data and the Future of Criminal Justice
Sponsored by Law, Innovation, Security and Technology
- Andrew Selbst, Postdoctoral Scholar at Data & Society Research Institute and Visiting Fellow at the Yale Information Society Project
- Chris Slobogin, Director, Vanderbilt Law School Criminal Justice Program, Milton R. Underwood Chair in Law, Affiliate Professor of Psychiatry, Vanderbilt University
- Suresh Venkatasubramanian, Associate Professor, University of Utah
Panel 3 | (RJ2): The Intersection of Reproductive and Racial Justice Lawyering
Sponsored by If/When/How: Lawyering for Reproductive Justice at UVA Law
- Sequoia Ayala, Policy Counsel and Program Manager, SisterLove Inc.
- Tannia Esparza, Executive Director, Young Women United
- Jill C. Morrison, Visiting Professor of Law, Georgetown University Law Center; Executive Director, Women's Law & Public Policy Fellowship; Executive Director, Leadership and Advocacy for Women in Africa Program
Panel 4 | Environmental Racism on a Warming Planet: From “Climate Refugees” to the “War on Coal”
Sponsored by the Environmental and Regulatory Law Clinic
- Panelists TBA
The State of Civil Rights Today and the Modern-Day Resistance Movement
- Kristen Clarke, President and Executive Director, Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law
- Introduction by Vice Dean Leslie Kendrick
Caplin Pavilion and Clay Hall
Saturday, Feb. 3
Panel 5 | Violence Against Trans People of Color: Legal Perspectives and Solutions
Sponsored by the Black Law Students Association, Lambda Law Alliance and the Latin American Law Organization
- Adeola Ogunkeyede, Legal Director, Legal Aid Justice Center
- Isa Noyola, Deputy Director, Transgender Law Center
Panel 6 | Defending and Expanding Voting Rights
Sponsored by the American Constitution Society
- Danielle Lang, Senior Legal Counsel, Campaign Legal Center
- Cathy Meza, Senior Counsel, LDF
11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
DisOrientation: Navigating Law School With Your Values and Spirit Intact
- Presenter: Maggie Ellinger-Locke
Toolkit for the Righteous Firm Lawyer
- Presenter: TBD
Free CLE: Ethics (for attorneys)
- Presenter: Professor George Cohen
Networking Lunch and Awards Ceremony
Legal Observer Training
- Presenters: Dr. Jill Humphries and Maggie Ellinger-Locke