Students compete in appellate moot court and trial advocacy competitions nationwide, and the Law School also is home to one of the most famous moot court competitions.
William Minor Lile Moot Court Competition
About 80 second-year students, competing in two-person teams, hone their oral argument skills in the annual William Minor Lile Moot Court Competition. Distinguished federal and state judges preside in the semifinal and final rounds. Winners receive a cash prize and their names are inscribed on a plaque located outside the three moot courtrooms.
Teams of students chosen from among those entered in the competition may represent the Law School in the national Moot Court Competition and other extramural competitions nationwide.
Extramural Moot Court
Extramural Moot Court allows students to compete in moot competitions nationwide. More
Philip C. Jessup International Moot Court Team
Each year law students compete in the Philip C. Jessup International Moot Court Competition, the largest moot court competition in the world, with over 100 countries and 500 law schools participating. The competition simulates a dispute before the International Court of Justice and participating students gain expertise in both public and private international law. Selection for the Jessup Team is based upon a formal tryout and an interview.
- 2.28.18 Davidson and Swanson Win 89th Lile Moot Court Competition
- 2.15.18 Jessup Moot Court Team Advances to International Rounds
- 4.13.17 A Winning Season for Extramural Moot Court Teams
- 3.29.17 Complementary Opposites: Ahmed and Cole Win 88th Lile Moot Court Competition
- 3.20.17 Lasting Appeal: UVA Law's Lile Moot Court Photo Flashback
- 3.1.17 Students Advance to Final Round of Lile Moot Court Competition
- 4.28.16 UVA Law Students Have Banner Year in Moot Court Competitions
- 4.15.16 Lots of Prep, and a Little Luck, Help Ashwin Shandilya and Reedy Swanson Win 87th Lile Moot Court
- 3.21.16 Student Team Headed to National Transactional Law Moot Court Competition
- 4.23.15 Lovell and Bilhartz Combine Contrasting Styles to Win 86th Lile Moot Court Competition
- 4.14.14 Engaged to Marry, Richards and Bielawski Also Team Up to Win Lile Moot Court Competition
- 4.11.13 Friends First, Kossis and Ramkumar Close Law School with a Win in Lile Moot Court Competition
- 2.28.13 Jessup Moot Court Team Advances to International Round for Record Third Consecutive Year
- 4.18.12 Millay, Malinee Win 83rd Lile Moot Court Competition
- 4.15.11 Cariello, Gocek Take Home Lile Moot Court Prize; Archibald Named Best Oralist
- 4.4.11 Student Offers Account of Virginia's Seventh Appearance in Jessup Moot Court International Rounds
- 11.11.10 Students Win Extramural Moot Court Competition
- 4.15.10 Ibrahim, Moran Win Moot Court Competition
- 4.10.09 Holley and Peifer Win Lile Moot Court Competition
- 2.25.09 Law School Team Wins NBLSA Mock Trial National Championship
- 4.24.08 Students Enjoy Record Year in Advocacy Competitions
- 4.3.08 Mroz, Hollander Win Moot Court Competition
- 3.20.07 With Help from JAG Coaches, Students Find Success in Moot Competitions
- 5.2.07 Law Students Coach Undergraduate Trial Team to Victory